Sunday, April 26, 2009

5k


So, today I ran my first 5k! Yay! I've been saying for a yr that I wanted to run one, but always made excuses or something really did come up. I was so nervous I only slept like 3hrs last night, ate maybe 100 cals all day, and was so nauseous I thought I'd be sick or pass out before I made it the race.

I didn't suck at it. I made it in 34 min. Hoped for 30, but considering my physical being at that moment, sleep deprived and no food = no energy, I'm ok with 34. I know, Mikie, I should be happier. Maybe tomorrow. Right now I'm so drained and still sick to my stomach b/c after the run I downed a Wendy's coffee shake! Besides, this was a lot of up hill and it was like 90 degrees out there. Which reminds me, it was so awesome how all the people came out into their yards and sprayed us runners with their water hoses. That was the best! But to the guy riding by on his bike with no effort drinking his water, that was just wrong!

I can't say I "enjoyed" it, but it was my first, I'd made myself sick about it, and I kept it a secret and went alone. I'm sure it's funner when you go with friends or family, but today was something I needed to do alone. I needed to prove this to myself. I still have the mind set of the fat girl who couldn't walk 3 miles must less run it. I knew I needed to do this to show myself how far I've came and to have closure after loosing the weight and not to mention all the changes I've made on the inside.

I did have this image of me running across the finish line with my arms in the air in victory and tears of joy, but I sprinted when I saw that finish line and then almost passed out in the porto john! Not as dramatic as I'd hoped!!! Fifteen min after I'd sat down my heart began to slow down and it hit me that it was over. I could have laid back and fell asleep right there! I'm glad I did it and it really did give me confidence in myself that I needed, but I'm just too tired to think about all the good this did for myself. To others this was just a 3.1 mile run on a very hot day with lots of hills which sounds like a stupid thing to do especially to pay someone to let you do it, but to me this was about more. I am, again, glad it is over though! Next 5k I'll check out the route before hand to make sure its flatter and I'll plan it in Fall or Winter when its cooler. Live and learn!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, congrats! I'm supposed to be a running buddy for the Girls on the Run 5k in May & I havent started preparing..I prob cant even walk a mile..I better get busy!

    You should be very proud of yourself!! You've worked hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, TAG..yout it! See my blog for more details!

    ReplyDelete